The first day of school at Hillcrest was on the 15th September, 1953. The school was opened to serve the large influx of students expected from the housing development nearby. Children came from all over Adelaide including schools such as Challa Gardens, Richmond, Flinders Street and even Victor Harbor. Most of the students however, transferred from Payneham Primary. The first girl enrolled was Elizabeth Mann and the first boy was Keith Hale. The first Headmaster of the school was Victor Slee who was transferred from Forest School near Lenswood.
The school opened in timber transportable buildings and the two storey building was constructed in the mid 1960′s. Community members who send their children to the school are pleased to be associated with it. In many cases, we now have the children of previous students attending, which helps to build on a tradition of over 60 years of quality education.